Saturday, September 4, 2010

Here!


I am here (there?). I’ve actually been here for around 5 or so days, but my access to the internet has been pretty sporadic. So far, I’ve spent a lot of time just getting oriented, and getting to know my host family.

I live in Karen, which is a suburb of Nairobi. I’m actually the farthest student from the city, but I’m not that far, geographically. It just takes a while to get into the city because of traffic. Karen is named as such because it used to be the estate of Karen Biloxi. It still has a large white population, as my host mother pointed out as we were in the Nukamatt (which is sort of like a Kenyan Walmart), explaining it by saying that whites like Karen because it is so cold. Things are quite cold here recently, which has many Kenyans in a panic.

I will make a longer update soon, but this is being made on borrowed internet so I will be brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment