Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Update!

Its been a few weeks since I’ve blessed my loyal readers (all 3 of them) with an update. Thus, I’ll try and catch this blog up with the last month or so of my time in Kenya.
Exciting Travel: we went to Kisumu, which is the third largest city in Kenya. It also is the city in Kenya which loves fish the most. We visited a fishing beach, and saw a lungfish that was HUGE. Imagine a creepy fish thing that weighs 30 kilos and can live out of water for weeks. Creepy.  While in the area, we helped build a school, and also met Obama’s grand mom (no joke, we drove to her house).
Crazy adventure: The other week we had a holiday, Hero’s Day (no relation to the cancelled American television show). As part of celebrating the heros of the struggle for independence, my family decided to part with a lawnmower. Caveat: our lawn is mowed by sheep. Therefore, I was able to help kill, skin and butcher a sheep. Amazingly enough, I’m still a carnivore (in fact, after the experience I can eat meat with a lighter heart, as I know that I can live with seeing an animal become meat).
Future Exciting Travel: Right now I’m in the midst of preparing for my big trip over winter break- to the roof of Africa. On December 19th, I will actually climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, and potentially summit sometime 4 days later. It’ll be quite the trip, but I think I’ll leave most of the details for later (I only have so much to blog about, so I have to endeavor to keep it spread out).
Random Stuff: I’m no longer a Michigander, and am now either a Ute or Utahn. I recently received the William G. Howard award, which means I’m good at political science or something along those lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment